Coastal Demographics in Victoria
Background research paper prepared for the Victorian Marine and Coastal Council
The purpose of this report is to inform policy initiatives being undertaken through the Marine and Coastal Act 2018. The Act provides for the making of a Marine and Coastal Policy, followed by a Marine and Coastal Strategy. The latest demographic and census-based data is used in this report to provide an overview of issues associated with population and settlement along the Victorian coast.
Social research into community attitudes
The Wave 5 – Marine and Coastal Community Attitudes & Behaviour Report looks at what Victorians most value about the state’s marine and coastal environments, and how they like to use them. It looks at visitation levels and the types of activities we like to enjoy in these areas.
Importantly, the research explores what and how different kinds of activities pose a threat to these environments, as well as attitudes towards key challenges including climate change, population growth and coastal development.
The Wave 5 – Marine and Coastal Community Attitudes & Behaviour Report is the fifth 'wave' of this research, undertaken in partnership with Department of Environment Land Water and Planning (DELWP), Parks Victoria, the Victorian Marine and Coastal Council. The research has informed the development of the upcoming Marine and Coastal Policy to be released by the end of 2019.
The former Victorian Coastal Council, in partnership with DELWP, periodically commissioned social research on community attitudes and behaviours on the Victorian coastal and marine environment in order to inform the strategic review and development of the Victorian Coastal Strategy. Four previous ‘waves’ of research have been conducted between 1995 and 2011.
- Wave 5 - Marine and Coastal Community Attitudes and Behaviours Research (Full Report) (PDF, 3.2 MB)
- Wave 5 - Marine and Coastal Community Attitudes and Behaviours Research (Summary Infographic) (PDF, 12.7 MB)
Climate change and the coast
- Full Report - Victoria's Coast and Marine Environments under Projected Climate Change (PDF, 7.6 MB)
- Summary Report: Victoria's Coast - Preparing for the Future (PDF, 2.2 MB)
- 2018-19 Victorian Marine and Coastal Council Annual Report (PDF, 2.1 MB)
- 2019-20 Victorian Marine and Coastal Council Annual Report (PDF, 2.3 MB)
Business Plan 2019-21
Page last updated: 23/12/20